Lesson - 13
Introduction and Summary
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
Suratul-Baqarah is second Chapter of Holy Qur-‘aan. It was revealed in Madinah. This Surah is the longest Chapter of Holy Qur-’aan. There are 286 verses and 40 sections in it. Baqarah means “Cow”. It has been named, ‘Al-Baqarah because an event regarding ‘The Cow’ has been described in it.
The most important teachings regarding beliefs and deeds have come in it. It is stated that the Companion of Messenger (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him), named Umar (Radi Allaahu ‘Anhu) spent many years to understand this Surah. It does not mean “learning by heart”, but “learning and understanding the Commands and Instructions mentioned in it”. An abstract of its subjects has been explained as under:
1. At first it has been described in this Chapter that Holy Qur-’aan is Guidance for those people who fear Allah Almighty and there is a root of abstinence in their hearts.
2. After listening to Holy Qur’aan, three kinds of people will grow as it happens in the world in relation to every new movement. First, the Believers, who will have full faith in it. Second, the Infidels who will oppose it and the third, those hypocrites, who will show themselves as believers but actually their hearts will deny it.
3. After that, first command for the entire people is that they should worship Allah only, and the Truth of Holy Qur-’aan has been proved.
4. In the fourth section, the Birth of Adam (peace be upon Him) has been mentioned including entitlement of His being vicegerent on the earth. Then, from fifth section to onward, recitation in respect of a big dynasty’s life “The Children of Israel” begins. Hundreds of Prophets and Messengers (peace be upon Them) were born in this dynasty. Allah Almighty narrated the circumstances of this dynasty “in a lesson taken way” and it was also described that these people did not remain able to be viceroy of God due to their false deeds and wickedness.
5. From section 5 to 15, many events of the history of the Children of Israel have been stated; for example, their covenants and agreements, splendor of God on the Mount Sinai, the event of the Day of Saturday (Sabbath), the event of The Cow, circumstances of slaughtering the Prophets (peace be upon Them), impure efforts of enchantment, charm and magic, unfair conduct of disgracing the Prophets (peace be upon Them), wrong faiths about forgiveness and deliverance on the Day of Judgment etc.
6. With effect from the section-16 onward, more events and incidents in respect of the Children of Israel, birth of The Last Prophet and Messenger Muhammad (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him) in Arab from the generation of Adam (peace be upon Him) have been explained. Moreover, there is also recitation on The Square Building of Makkah (Masjid ul Haraam). And the higher grades in respect of the Martyrs in the ways of Allah have been mentioned here.
7. In section-20, the Signs of the Power of God Almighty have been discussed along with the matters relating to the Forbidden and Lawful things.